Wednesday, September 1, 2010

mmmm, garden fresh

Last night I did my first batch of canned tomatoes.  There weren't enough to fill the whole canner but I did get 5 quarts of tomatoes.  There are lots more tomatoes on the vine but they are not ready to pick.  The plants are actually starting to die so the tomatoes should start ripening soon.  I hope they will ripen in a group so that I can get them all canned at the same time. 

While I was out in the garden picking tomatoes I discovered a new crop we had never tried before was ready to picking - cantaloupe. The poor vines are dying away and so I suspect that means the fruit is ready to pick.  I plucked one off last night and Rod and I enjoyed it for our breakfast and lunch today.  They are small melons but they sure taste good.  I think I will have to try them again next year.

Another crop we have this year is pumpkins.  We have pumpkins growing in the compost pile and more in the garden.  We planted a giant pumpkin and jack-o-lanterns. They are growing nicely and turning nice and orange.  The grand kids will be able to get their pumpkins this year from our garden.   Maybe we will watch for the Great Pumpkin this year.

Jack-o-lantern pumpkin
Giant Pumpkin
GRANDPA's PUMPKIN PATCH


No comments:

Post a Comment