Tuesday, November 13, 2012

101 ways to use Goats Milk

Last December we were given 2 pygmy goats for pets on the farm.  They are curious little things but not good for much of anything.  We spent the spring building them a pen to keep them out of trouble, especially to keep them away from the neighbour's flowers.

In June we acquired a Saanen goat who was giving milk.  I have spent the entire summer and fall milking her twice daily.  Zach, Talia and Amber have even milked her a few times. I bought a hand milker to simplify the process. She started out giving 3 litres of milk daily.  She is down to 2 litres now.  That is a lot of milk to drink! 

We have had to come up with different ways to use the milk.  We pasteurize it for the girls to drink.  Separate the cream for Rod's cereal, butter and ICE CREAM.  And of course there is GOATS CHEESE!  I have tried 3 different ways to make cheese - a crumbly cheese, spreadable and mozzarella.  I have flavoured it with salt, herbs and even fruit flavoured.  There is so much milk that I have even frozen it for using later.

My newest use for goats milk is SOAP.  Last night I made my first batch of soap.  I found a great site on the web where I can purchase lye and different oils and google and the library have provided information on the process.  The first batch has been processed and cut into bars and is now curing.

In 3-4 weeks I should have some soap to share with my family and friends.  I have found some interesting recipes that I want to try.  How does Hot Chocolate Soap sound?  How about Bubble Gum?  Lavendar?  So many recipes to try.  I need more supplies and more shelves to store curing soap on. 

1 comment:

  1. I would like to subscribe to the "goat milk soap of the month" club please.. You can ship that to... box 1955 St. Paul.....

    ReplyDelete