Thursday, July 22, 2010

I love you berry much

Our garden has blessed us with a great crop of berries. A one hundred foot row of raspberries can produce a lot of berries. Every other evening can find me out in the garden picking raspberries for freezing. The black currants are also loaded and in need of picking and now the gooseberries are on. I need more hours in the evening in which to take care of my garden.

The other night I was out in the berry patch picking away. It was just me and the dog and not another sole around. Rod and Zach were in town using the internet. Talia is off to Alberta visiting family.

I started feeling like the Ant in the story of the Ant and the Grasshopper. Everyone I knew was off having fun and here I was working away getting ready for the winter. My friends and family all talk about the vacations they have had or are planning for the summer. What am I doing? Picking berries and freezing them. But I love berries and it will be great to have raspberries and strawberries to eat in the winter.

I guess since we don't have internet at the house I could pretend I am at the cottage. They say a change is as good as a holiday and this is a change from the work at the office. I guess I will just have to learn to love my "stay-cation" until next year when I have actually earned enough vacation time to run away like everyone else.

4 comments:

  1. I am so excited that you have started a blog!! And I would love to be there to help you pick berries....oh and I might not let Talia come home...;P

    ReplyDelete
  2. You better send her home. I need help picking berries, beans, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm. I miss Berries.
    Can you Fedex some to us?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nope, you are going to have to come pick your own next summer.

    ReplyDelete