Thursday, July 22, 2010

Life on the farm is kind of laid back ....

This is my first attempt at joining the blogging world. There have been some changes in our life and I thought this might help my friends keep up with what is happening.

So after 27 years of marriage and living in the city my husband and I purchased a "farm". It is 20 acres of "life in the country". The previous owners were elderly and moving to the city. They had been renting out about 8 acres of the land to a church for farming. Rod isn't sure he wants to be a real farmer so we hired a neighbour to put the 8 acres into pasture grass. Talia is counting down the months (yes months) until there is a home for a few horses.

We love our new place. It is very quiet and peaceful. We have close neighbours on one side but the others are about 1/2 mile away. I wake up every morning to the sound of birds singing and not just noisy crows. When I look up in the sky at night I can actually see stars. Zach was excited to finally be able to identify the big dipper. Living in the city all these years he has never had a good view of the night sky.

Rod has had the month of July off so he has been busy bringing the property into the new millenium. The cover over the walk-up is now properly framed and has a real roof on in. The storage barn has a concrete floor and as soon as Talia gets home from Alberta she can start cleaning up the chicken pens.

The garden is in and growing. I swear the garden is almost as big as the house. It has worked out well because there is plenty of space between rows to run the rototiller. Can't wait to enjoy meals from the garden.

So those are the highlights of our new life. Here's to country life!!!

1 comment: