Thursday, August 5, 2010

oats and beans and barley grow

OK not oats but beans and barley. 

combining barley
This spring we had 8 acres of barley planted by the farmer down the road. The previous owners had rented out the land and they had corn and beans.  We don't plan on growing crops and didn't like the idea of 8 acres of dirt so we had the farmer up the road plant 8 acres of pasture grass with barley over top as a nurse crop.  We have been watching the barley grow and wondered how the grass was doing underneath.  Tuesday night our farmer came down and determined that the barley was ready to be harvested.  He said he would be back early next week to take care of it.  What a surprise we had when we came home last night to find the combine sitting in the field and half the barley already mowed.  Before I could even get supper on the table our field of barley was finished.  Thanks Al and Phil for harvesting our barley.  Hope you are back soon to bale the straw.

Merrill Barley



And yes, the beans continue to grow.  I only picked one row last night. I guess I will be picking the rest tonight unless I can find someone who wants to help.  I also picked and shelled peas. I got about 2 cups off my few scraggly plants.  Rod doesn't want to grow peas anymore but I think I will try convincing him  next spring to put in a few more rows. The weeds kind of choked them out this year. 

Talia has been busy cleaning the old chicken manure and straw out of the barn. That girl is pretty handy with a pitchfork after all these years working in horse barns.  We have a nice pile that we will be able to spread on the garden this fall which should add great nutrients to the soil.   We should have a great garden next year - more beans to pick!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment