Monday, August 16, 2010

to sleep, perchance to dream

Are you a dreamer?  I dream nightly, usually more than one dream.

Night time is when we are supposed to sleep and rejuvenate our bodies and minds.  How can that happen if you spend the whole night dreaming?  I often wake up more tired than when I went to bed.  I used to think it was because of the crazy hours I kept with getting up for papers at the 'crack of stupid', and then taking a big nap in the afternoons.  But it has been 2 years since I gave up papers and I am still having crazy sleep.

Falling asleep has never been the problem, it is staying asleep.  I will wake up at least once maybe 2 -3 times most nights. Sometimes it involves just rolling over and falling back asleep. Other times I need to actually get out of bed, wander the house and maybe even find a new place to sleep.  In the old house that place was the family room.  I would lay on the couch and listen to the loud ticking of the clock.  It would finally lull me back to sleep.   Since moving to the new place we don't have a couch to sleep on so that option is out. 

Well, I hope I have found a solution to my problem.  After talking to a friend who is studying to become a doctor with an interest in naturopathy, I have started taking a natural hormone -- MELATONIN.  What a wonderful non-drug.  I still find I will wake up at night (usually to go to the bathroom) but falling back asleep is almost instantaneous and my sleep feels deeper and more relaxing.  And the dreams have slowed down!!! Usually only one dream at night and it is just before I wake up for the day.  What a joy!

They say you shouldn't take melatonin continuously. You should take a break every 3-4 weeks.  Well, I took a break this past weekend and the dreams were back in full force.  So, I guess I will continue to take my little white pills for sleeping and plan my "dreams" for the weekend when I don't have to get up early for work. 

2 comments:

  1. We've used melatonin in our house for several years. It actually helped regulate Clayton's sleep. He used to wake up at 2 or 3 in the morning and not be able to get back to sleep. Now we only use it once in a while, but I always keep some on hand. Glad to hear it is working for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried it once in the past and didnt notice a difference. I more recently thought I would try it again. I actually had a very difficult time getting to sleep after taking 10mg and to a lesser extent after taking 5 mg but it actually messed up my nights. This happened on every night that I tried it so I have given up on it for now.

    Bruce

    ReplyDelete